The U.S. District Court judge overseeing a 2019 sexual harassment lawsuit against Wynn Resorts Ltd. by nine anonymous women has signed a settlement agreement first announced in September.
Judge Gloria Navarro on Friday — almost six years to the day since the start of a major scandal at Wynn — granted a dismissal with prejudice clause, meaning the case will not be further appealed or brought back to court.
The settlement was first announced on September 6, and the settlement amount and other details have been sealed by the court.
The judge’s action brings to an end a series of events that have forever changed Wynn Resorts, from the resignations of numerous executives to the revamping of the company’s board of directors.
Over time, this cost the Las Vegas-based company millions of dollars in fines and led to the permanent departure of one of casino gaming’s most recognizable figures, former president and CEO Steve Wynn.
Representatives for Wynn Resorts had no comment on the lawsuit Monday.
The group of nine women, workers at the Wynn and Encore salon in Las Vegas, said they had suffered sexual harassment for years. They filed a lawsuit against the company and Steve Wynn in 2019, a year after he left the company.
In court documents, the women provided graphic descriptions of how Steve Wynn asked personal questions of a sexual nature, forced them to massage him near the genital area, and asked them to provide him services in secluded areas, including his office.
Wynn said he has never sexually harassed or assaulted anyone. He could not be reached for comment Monday.
The first disclosure of the allegations against Wynn occurred on January 27, 2018, when the Wall Street Journal published an article about the harassment allegations.
In the months following his departure, Steve Wynn divested his financial holdings in the company and moved from a mansion onto the property where he had been living. He also resigned as finance chairman of the Republican National Committee.
The court case brought by the women, who are referred to in court documents as “Judy Does Nos. 1-9” and who worked at the salon as manicurists or makeup artists, has had many twists and turns since it was first filed and initially heard by U.S. District Judge James Mahan in March 2019.
In July 2020, Mahan said the women’s defenses were too vague, and the case was forwarded to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
The appellate ruling, sustained in October 2021, states that the district court’s action was affirmed in part but reversed in part and was accordingly remanded to the district court, where it was reassigned to Navarro.
The appeals court, in its ruling, said Judy Does “repeatedly expressed a willingness to provide more information, provided their privacy could be guaranteed.” The court added that “although Judy Does had no automatic right to file an amended complaint, the District Court should still have granted leave to amend when dismissing claims that could have been resolved by additional facts.”
Wynn Resorts paid $20 million to the Nevada Gaming Control Board in February 2019 for failing to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct made by employees. The Massachusetts Gaming Commission fined the company another $35 million and Wynn CEO Matt Maddox’s successor $500,000 for failing to disclose allegations against Wynn when he was applying for a license there. Massachusetts also wanted to keep Wynn’s name off the building, so it was called Encore Boston Harbor.
In June, the Nevada Gaming Commission approved a settlement with Steve Wynn for $10 million that essentially bars him from participating in gambling in the state. Wynn, who turned 82 on Saturday, lives in Florida.
Wynn’s board of directors was revamped with several new members, and several executives left the company following Steve Wynn’s departure.
Among those who left was former Wynn Las Vegas president Maurice Wooden, who last week was named the new president of Fontainebleau Las Vegas.